CHEST Journal App for iPad®, iPhone®, and iPod® Touch
The fully redesigned CHEST Journal App for iPad®, iPod® Touch, and iPhone® is now available. Existing users will be prompted to update through their device, and new users can find it through the App StoreSM or iTunes® by searching for CHEST.
Learn More. . .
- A new in-app Figure viewer
- Updated search functionality
- Podcast player displaying "now playing" podcast
- See at a glance how many new Online First articles have been added since last visit
- Hide ads when in reading mode
- Share content directly to Twitter or Facebook accounts
- View the American College of Chest Physician''s Twitter feed
- Adjust the font size when reading articles
- Dynamic home page includes highlighted articles form the most recent issues, new articles posted just after acceptance and access to the monthly podcast
- An expanded menu providing central navigation to 11 different areas such as the full CHEST archive and Guidelines
- Access to CHEST Collections: content by topic area (ie, Asthma, Critical Care, Procedures) and Special Series (ie, Medical Ethics, Topics in Practice Management)
- Search and access the entire journal archive, including papers published Online First each week and the latest monthly issue
- Listen to the monthly podcasts, featuring lively discussions around controversial and emerging issues facing clinicians today
- Browse abstracts and read full-text articles optimized for iOS or access the PDF
- Quickly access abstracts of referenced articles within the in-app browser
- Take advantage of a rich image-viewing experience with full-screen option and the ability to scroll through a figure/table only view of each article
- Jump within article sections, images, and references with the dynamic side navigation and internal hyperlinks
- View your history automatically through a list of all accessed articles sorted by date
- E-mail article links to your colleagues or yourself for later review
- Mark and store your favorite articles for later reference
- Control article font size by three-finger swipe up gesture to reveal font control panel from any page
- Access full articles through individual CHEST subscriptions through IP authentication or username and password.
The CHEST Journal App is free to download and offers free access to content for users who subscribe to CHEST individually, are organization members, or have access through a subscribing institution, such as an academic institution or hospital. Pay-per-view access to content is not available in the app at this time.
Download the app.
A personal iTunes® account is required.
To enter your login credentials, click the gear icon in the upper left corner of the app. On the settings page, click “Sign In to Your Account.” Enter your username and password information, and then click “Submit.” After your login credentials are accepted, you can close settings and access content. Your login information will remain saved in the app.
To use the Journal offsite or through the app, you will need to create a free personal account. First, access the Journal from a computer on your institutional network. Your institution’s name will appear in the upper right corner of the page within the red bar. Second, click the “Create a Free Personal Account.”
Once your account is created, launch the CHEST app from your device and click the gear icon in the upper left corner of the app. On the settings page, click “Sign In to Your Account.” Enter your username and password information, and then click “Submit.” After your login credentials are accepted, you can close settings and access content. Your login information will remain saved in the app.
Please note, you will be required to re-authenticate your access periodically by accessing the Journal from a computer on your institutional network.
Q: How can I get the CHEST Journal App?
A: The CHEST Journal App is free to download through iTunes® or by searching “CHEST Journal” in the App StoreSM on your device. Full articles are available only to current CHEST subscribers. Nonsubscribers will have access to tables of contents, search results, and abstracts. If you are a subscriber, enter your username and password into the settings area to enjoy uninterrupted access to CHEST.
Q: I am not a current CHEST subscriber. How can I access the full-text of recently published articles?
A: While all articles that appeared in an issue of CHEST 12-months ago or more are free to all users, the app does not currently support pay-per-view access to content. To purchase pay-per-view access to single articles, we recommend that you use the full website, publications.chestnet.org.
Learn more about subscribing to CHEST.
Q: Is there an app available for Android, Blackberry, and other non-iOS smartphones?
A: At present, the CHEST app is available only for Apple devices. Other device users are encouraged to use the CHEST mobile site (users accessing publications.chestnet.org from a mobile device should be automatically redirected; automatic redirect will not work on all tablets).
Q: If I license content through RightsLink in the app, how can I access the content?
A: If you have not already downloaded the content you wish to reuse, we recommend you download from the Web and save to your personal computer. Non-subscribers will be required to pay an additional fee for downloading the content through time-limited pay-per-view access.
Q: Are CHEST Books available as an app?
A: CHEST Books are not available for download as an app, but can be accessed from through the CHEST Books mobile site (users accessing publications.chestnet.org from a mobile device should be automatically redirected; automatic redirect will not work on all tablets).
The CHEST app is free to download from iTunes® or the App StoreSM and includes subscription-based access to the entire CHEST archive.
Download the app.
Become a CHEST subscriber.