Dr Turner-Warwick obtained her first post as a specialist in respiratory medicine at Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital in London, which was staffed entirely by female doctors and treated female patients. In 1957, she moved to a research post at Brompton Hospital to work with Guy Scadding, MD, who was head of the Cardiovascular Research Institute, a postgraduate institute of London University. In Professor Scadding’s department, she undertook important work on pulmonary fibrosis and established a clinical interest in interstitial lung disease, autoimmunity in the lung, and asthma. She was appointed as a senior lecturer (assistant professor) in 1960 and then succeeded Professor Scadding as professor of thoracic medicine in 1972. Dr Turner-Warwick subsequently became the head and dean of the Cardiothoracic Institute (1984-1987), which became the National Heart & Lung Institute and was incorporated into Imperial College London. After a very distinguished career, she retired from this post in 1987 and was then elected as the first-ever female president (1989-1992) of the Royal College of Physicians in London in its 500-year history.