0
Lung Cancer |

Safety of Bevacizumab (Bv) in Superannuated Patients with Non-squamous Non-small Cell Lung Cancer FREE TO VIEW

Andriani Charpidou, PhD; Dimitrios Vassos, MD; Sotirios Tsimpoukis, MD; Panagiotis Demertzis, MD; Ioannis Gkiozos, MD; Kostas Syrigos, PhD
Author and Funding Information

Oncology Unit, University of Athens, Athens, Greece


Chest. 2014;145(3_MeetingAbstracts):350B. doi:10.1378/chest.1921839
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

SESSION TITLE: Late Breaking Abstracts

SESSION TYPE: Slide Presentation

PRESENTED ON: Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 09:00 AM - 10:00 AM

PURPOSE: Bevacizumab is an anti-angiogenic agent used in many advanced solid tumours, including non-squamous NSCLC. In contrast to clinical studies, that all patients are fit, we retrospectively try to evaluate safety of Bv in superannuated population

METHODS: Medical records of 2672 pts diagnosed with NSCLC between 2001-2012 were screened. We evaluate pts =75 yrs old treated with bev. We have check demographics and clinical data for the disease and treatment (Tx) as well as safety and tolerability. We focused on those elderly pts with stable per-existing cardiovascular disease (CVD).

RESULTS: 356/2672 NSCLC pts received Bv at any Tx line. 33/382 (8,6%) were =75 yrs old. Of those, 29 had various co-morbidities including 19 pts with stable CVD. In the 19 pts with CVD the male:female ratio was 17:2 and mean age 77 yrs (range 75-86). 8/19 pts had impaired renal function. All pts were of Performance Status ECOG 0/1. Median number of Bv cycles was 5 (range 2-11). 17/19 pts experienced =1 side effects (11 epistaxis and haemoptysis, 5 proteinuria, 4 hypertension). Only 5 pts had to discontinued therapy due to Grade3-4 AE. No major/fatal adverse events were noted. 8/19 pts (42%) showed radiological partial response and 5 (19%) stable disease (total disease control rate 61%). Median survival from initiation of Bv till death/last follow up was 7 months (range 2-28, 95% CI 5.14-12.55).

CONCLUSIONS: Bevacizumab can be added to chemotherapy in superannuated NSCLC patients with controlled pre-existing cardiovascular disease and good PS. These patients might benefit from participation in clinical trials similarly to younger NSCLC patients.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Superannuated patients with non-squamous NSCLC can be benefit for antiangiogenic therapy.

DISCLOSURE: The following authors have nothing to disclose: Andriani Charpidou, Dimitrios Vassos, Sotirios Tsimpoukis, Panagiotis Demertzis, Ioannis Gkiozos, Kostas Syrigos

No Product/Research Disclosure Information


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Find Similar Articles
CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543