0
Sleep Disorders |

Characteristics of Patients Diagnosed With Sleep Apnea Syndrome With and Without COPD FREE TO VIEW

Elena Ojeda, MD; Jose Miguel Rodriguez, MD; Liliana Moran, MD; Paula Rodriguez, MD; Soledad Lopez, MD; Pilar DeLucas, MD
Author and Funding Information

Hospital Gregorio Marañón, Madrid, Spain


Chest. 2014;145(3_MeetingAbstracts):599A. doi:10.1378/chest.1781114
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

SESSION TITLE: OSA & COPD Posters

SESSION TYPE: Poster Presentations

PRESENTED ON: Saturday, March 22, 2014 at 01:15 PM - 02:15 PM

PURPOSE: To analyze the characteristics of OSAHS patients with and without COPD.

METHODS: Prospective and descriptive study of patients older than 40 years old, with suspicion of sleep apnea syndrome, collected consecutively over a year. We excluded patients with previous diagnosis of chronic respiratory disease other than COPD. All patients underwent standardized clinical questionnaires, quality of life questionnaires, post-bronchodilator spirometry and polysomnography or cardiorespiratory polygraphy. Diagnosis of COPD was established when the FEV1/FVC ratio was lower than 0.7 and SAHS in the presence of an AHI> 5.

RESULTS: We included a total of 439 patients (93%) diagnosed sleep apnea syndrome, of which 68 (15.6%) had COPD and the remaining 84.4% had not. Patients with COPD and OSA, were mostly men (85% of males versus 67% in the OSA without COPD group), they were older (65 years old versus 58.5 +/- 11 in patients without COPD), they had a higher grade of smoking (94% versus 65%), and worse saturation overnight (89 +/-3% versus 90.8%+/-5). There are no differences in BMI, AHI or cardiovascular risk factors.

CONCLUSIONS: Although there are no differences in AHI, patients with COPD have a higher degree of desaturation. We also found a higher prevalence of cardiovascular disease despite the absence of differences in cardiovascular risk factors, which could be related to the greater degree of hypoxemia.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: It has been reported that the presence of COPD in patients with sleep apnea syndrome determines a greater clinical severity. However, not enough studies have been made to describe the differential characteristics of these patients, which would justify this greater severity.

DISCLOSURE: The following authors have nothing to disclose: Elena Ojeda, Jose Miguel Rodriguez, Liliana Moran, Paula Rodriguez, Soledad Lopez, Pilar DeLucas

No Product/Research Disclosure Information


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Find Similar Articles
CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543