Critical Care |

Bouncing Back With SWIFT (Stability and Workload Index for Transfer Score): Is It Applicable to ICUs in Urban America? FREE TO VIEW

Key Vaquera, MD; Richard Newcomb, BA; Ruben Amaransingham, MD; Ying Ma, PhD; Sanjuana Wilhoite, BSN; Carlos Girod, MD; Rosechelle Ruggiero, MD
Author and Funding Information

UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX

Chest. 2013;144(4_MeetingAbstracts):403A. doi:10.1378/chest.1704419
Text Size: A A A
Published online


SESSION TITLE: Quality Improvement in the ICU II

SESSION TYPE: Original Investigation Slide

PRESENTED ON: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 04:30 PM - 05:30 PM

PURPOSE: Over the past few decades, the number of patients surviving critical illness has improved. However, ICU readmission rates have remained unchanged. The armamentarium has been relatively empty regarding discharge criteria from the ICU for physicians. In 2008, investigators from the Mayo Clinic developed and validated a new protocol scoring system - The Stability and Workload Index for Transfer (SWIFT) score. A standardized prediction tool is an ideal premise to optimize patient outcomes. The SWIFT scoring system has value in that it is the first predictive tool for intensive care readmission. Is this scoring system to applicable to their ICU? The purpose of this study is to assess the validity of the SWIFT Scoring System at an ICU in an urban public hospital.

METHODS: This is a retrospective observational cohort study comprising the medical intensive care units at Parkland Hospital. The cohort for this study consists of consecutive patients discharged alive from the medical ICUs at Parkland Hospital from June 1, 2010 to May 31, 2011. The primary outcome variables paralleled the SWIFT study, measuring unplanned ICU readmission or unexpected death within 7 days of ICU discharge. The performance of the SWIFT Score was assessed amongst our cohort for its accuracy in predicting ICU readmissions.

RESULTS: Our cohort included 2,054 patients admitted to the medical ICU at Parkland Hospital over 1 year. Patients were excluded for ICU stay <24hrs or planned admissions (499), those discharged home or transferred to another hospital/ICU within 7 days (358), those discharged to comfort care (14) and those who died during their ICU stay (141). 1,042 patients were discharged alive and evaluated as our baseline patient population. Fifty-two patients (5%) were readmitted to an ICU at our institution and six (0.5%) patients died unexpectedly within 7 days; the combined readmission and unexpected death rate was 5.5%. The sensitivity of the SWIFT score for predicting ICU readmissions was 0.21 and specificity was 0.83. This compares with original data showing sensitivity of 0.56 and specificity of 0.83.

CONCLUSIONS: While the specificity of the SWIFT score remained robust in our study, the sensitivity was lacking at predicting ICU readmission.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Given this, it is difficult for the SWIFT Scoring System to be applied to ICUs in urban America.

DISCLOSURE: Ruben Amaransingham: Other: Parkland Center for Clinical Innovation Ying Ma: Employee: Parkland Center for Clinical Innovation Sanjuana Wilhoite: Employee: Parkland Health & Hospital System Carlos Girod: Employee: Parkland Health and Hospital System The following authors have nothing to disclose: Key Vaquera, Richard Newcomb, Rosechelle Ruggiero

No Product/Research Disclosure Information




Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Find Similar Articles
CHEST Journal Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543