0
Abstract: Poster Presentations |

THE EFFECTS AND ASSOCIATED FACTORS OF BRONCHOFIBROSCOPIC MICROWAVE IN THE TREATMENT OF BRONCHIAL TUBERCULOSIS FREE TO VIEW

Jialian Xu, MD*; Haili Hu, BA; Hua Sun, BA; Zhongshun Zhang, MA; Linhai Zen, BA; Li Liang, MA; Wei Sha, MD, PhD; Lin Fan, MA
Author and Funding Information

Shanghai Pulmonary Hosptial, Shanghai, Peoples Rep of China



Chest. 2006;130(4_MeetingAbstracts):284S-d-285S. doi:10.1378/chest.130.6.1765
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

PURPOSE: To investigate the methods and value with bronchofibroscopic microwave in the treatment of cases with endobronchial tuberculosis.

METHODS: There are totally 35 patients diagnosed by brochoscope, chest X-ray and CT scan combined with bacteriologic and pathologic results with pulmonary and endobronchial tuberculosis. Male 9 and female 26, who were hospitalized from June, 2001 to June, 2003. The age ranged from 14 to 70 with the average of 36.8y. 32 patients (91.43%) were sputum positive. These patients accepted the treatments including systemic anti-tuberculosis chemotherapy;anti-TB drugs given under bronchofibroscope and nebulization inspiration;in addition,microwave treatment under bronchofibroscope.

RESULTS: The symptoms are relieved after two-eight times of microwave therapy. The cure rate of fever is 100% (8/8), of cough is 97.1%(34/35);of wheeze is 87.5 %(7/8);and of dyspnea is 81.8 %(9/11). There are 41.2%(14/34)patients whose abnormal breath sound vanished. 47.1% patients(16/34);had more sputum and change of breath sound for a short period of time due to the unobstructed bronchi. 8.8%(3/34)patients still remained local low or disappeared breath sound. The total sputum negative rate after a month was 93.7%(30/32). For radiology effect, the lesion absorption rate was 94.3%. The cure rate of pulmonary atelectasis was 90.9%(10/11). The congestion and edema of the affected tracheal and bronchial mucosa improved or disappeared. The white fur, ulcer, bleeding, small granule and necrotic lesion on the mucosa decreased or vanished. The granuloma in bronchi were removed; the stenosed bronchi enlarged and/or the obliterate bronchi were unobstructed. The cure rate of trans-bronchoscopic microwave therapy was 68.6%;improving rate was 20.0% and the total effectiveness was 88.6%.

CONCLUSION: The applying of bronchofibroscopic microwave is an acceptable measure with infrequent complication;and not only improve the cure rate and bacteriological negative-conversion rate in a month significantly, but also relieve the atelectasis caused by obstruction or stricture in bronchial in cases with bronchial tuberculosis.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: The bronchofibroscopic microwave is very useful for clinicians to treat patients of endobranchial tuberculosis.

DISCLOSURE: Jialian Xu, None.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

12:30 PM - 2:00 PM


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543