Abstract: Slide Presentations |


Frew H. Gebreab, MD*; Nasser Saad, RPh; Liziamma George, MD; Teena Abraham, PharmD; Imran Aurangzeb, MD; Elias Ashame, MD; Kelly Marion, RN; Suhail Raoof, MD
Author and Funding Information

New York Methodist Hospital, Brooklyn, NY


Chest. 2005;128(4_MeetingAbstracts):136S. doi:10.1378/chest.128.4_MeetingAbstracts.136S
Text Size: A A A
Published online


PURPOSE:  The development of multi-drug resistant bacterial infections is a serious problem in many hospitals. This study was conducted to identify the risk factors and antibiotic usage in medical intensive care and pulmonary step down patients who developed ESBL-KP infections at New York Methodist Hospital.

METHODS:  Medical records of 47 patients who developed 50 ESBL-KP infections between January to December 2004 were reviewed. Data collection included demographics,admission diagnosis,and risk factors for development of ESBL-KP infections.

RESULTS:  Of 47 patients; 74.5% (n=35)were females, and 25.5% (n= 12) were males in which 59.6% of them were admitted from home while the remaining 40.4% came from nursing facilities. Patients were admitted for sepsis (27.6%),acute respiratory failure (14.8%),pneumonia (17%),urinary tract infections (12.8%),acute renal failure (12.8 %), acute abdomen (8.5%), hepatic encephalopathy (4.3%) and malignancy (2.1%). All patients were treated with at least one broad spectrum antibiotic (Figure 1) for a mean duration of 14.5 days prior to the development of ESBL-KP infections. Ninety-eight percent of patients had at least 1 invasive procedure (Figure 2). The study identified that out of fifty ESBL-KP isolates; 52% (n=26) resulted in urinary tract, 24% (n=12) respiratory tract, 22% (n=11) blood stream, and 2% (n=1) surgical wound infection. Eighty four percent of isolates were sensitive to aminoglycosides whereas only 46% were sensitive to a carbapenem (Figure 3). The mean length of stay of ESBL-KP infections 46 days and all cause mortality was 32%.

CONCLUSION:  1. There was no community acquired ESBL-KP infections. 2. Majority of ESBL-KP infections were sensitive to aminoglycosides. 3. Urinary tract was the most common site of infection 4. Majority of patients had invasive procedures and all were treated with broad spectrum antibiotics prior to ESBL-KP isolation.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS:  Identification of possible risk factors for development infection with multi-drug resistant pathogen like ESBL-KP will be helpful in prevention, early detection and treatment of such infection. Figure 1.

Antibiotic use in patients with ESBL-KP infection between January to December 2004 at New York Methodist Hospital

Figure 2.

Number and type of invasive procedure performed prior to the development of ESBL-KP infections between January to December 2004 at New York Methodist Hospital.

DISCLOSURE:  Frew Gebreab, None.

Monday, October 31, 2005

10:30 AM - 12:00 PM




Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543