0
Abstract: Slide Presentations |

Impact of Routine Radiographic Surveillance After Complete Resection of Lung Cancer FREE TO VIEW

Alexei V. Bogolioubov, MD; Peter B. Bach, MD, FACCP; Dorothy A. White, MD, FACCP
Author and Funding Information

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY


Chest


Chest. 2003;124(4_MeetingAbstracts):101S. doi:10.1378/chest.124.4_MeetingAbstracts.101S-a
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

PURPOSE:  It is customary to follow patients after a resection of primary non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) with regularly scheduled chest radiograph or chest CT. The value of this practice has been debated. We reviewed the outcome of patients followed in this manner to determine whether potentially curable recurrences or second primary lung cancers were detected.

METHODS:  Retrospective chart review of patients who underwent complete resection of NSCLC in 1997–1998 at MSKCC. Data included demographics, stage, types and frequency of radiographic studies used for surveillance, compliance with surveillance, diagnosis of recurrent and new primary lung cancers and subsequent interventions.

RESULTS:  211 patients were included in the study: 131 with stages IA/B, 30 with stage IIA/B and 50 with stage IIIA. The general pattern of postoperative surveillance included chest radiograph or chest CT every 3 months during first year, every 4 months during second year, every 6 months during third year, and annually thereafter. Compliance with surveillance on a representative subset of 101 patients was 78%. 89 (42%) of the patients were diagnosed with recurrent or second primary tumor. Roughly half (44%) of these cancers were identified during scheduled surveillance – the remainder (56%) were identified due to symptoms. The likelihood of potentially curative intervention was influenced by stage at initial surgery and mode of detection (scheduled versus symptom-based assessment) of recurrent or second primary cancer. It was very rare (2%) for a patient with stage IIIA NSCLC at diagnosis to have a curable lesion discovered at follow-up.CONCLUSIONS: Routine surveillance after resection of a primary NSCLC appears to detect both curable recurrences and resectable second primaries. The benefit is less apparent in people with Stage IIIA disease at diagnosis.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS:  Stage may be important for planning postoperative surveillance. The role of chest radiograph vs. chest CT, and the optimal interval of surveillance, both require further definition.

Assessment for recurrent and second primary tumors and subsequent intervention with curative intent

AllStage IStage IIStage IIIARecurrent or 2nd primary89411236Symptom-driven assessment5021920- Curative intent treatment5 (10%)4 (19%)1 (11%)0 (0%)Scheduled assessment3920316- Curative intent treatment18 (46%)14 (70%)3 (100%)1 (6%)

Cancers detected by surveillance chest radiograph or chest CT and outcome

AllStage IStage IIStage IIIAChest CT2611213- Curative intent treatment7 (27%)9 (82%)2 (100%)0 (0%)Chest radiograph13913- Curative intent treatment7 (54%)5 (56%)1 (100%)1 (33%)

DISCLOSURE:  A.V. Bogolioubov, The LUNGevity Foundation, Grant monies.

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

10:30 AM - 12:00 PM


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Find Similar Articles
CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543