Within a few short years, the ACCP's leadership work related to tuberculosis was of national significance. In 1938, a 10% decrease in mortality from tuberculosis was reported. This improvement was attributed to early diagnosis, which had been the main thrust of the articles published in Diseases of the Chest. The ACCP worked directly with all branches of the armed forces during World War II to institute a routine chest-radiograph screening program to identify and control cases of tuberculosis in the military. In June 1940, the ACCP was commended by The Washington Evening Star for its work to significantly reduce the incidence of tuberculosis cases. The program was so successful, chest x-rays soon became routine for all hospital admissions. In consideration of the positive changes members were making across the United States, the Board of Regents agreed they should be readily recognized as ACCP members. In 1943, the Board passed the resolution approving the use of the letters, FCCP, to designate ACCP Fellows. As it was hoped, the letters quickly became synonymous with leaders in chest medicine. In 1950, the ACCP extended its leadership reach by holding the first international meeting in Rome, Italy. The meeting, which focused on the eradication of tuberculosis, featured an audience with Pope Pius XII and was attended by Sir Alexander Fleming, Nobel Prize recipient for the discovery of penicillin. The Pope addressed the tuberculosis problem and urged ACCP members to continue efforts to conquer the disease. The ACCP did continue its work and, 2 years later, was one of the first societies to publish ground-breaking data about isonicotinic acid hydrazine, a promising new drug for treating tuberculosis.