0
Slide Presentations: Sunday, October 31, 2010 |

Prospective Randomized Study to Assess the Efficacy of a Surgical Sealant to Prevent Prolonged Air Leaks in Lung Surgery Revealed by Digital System Drainage FREE TO VIEW

Cosimo Lequaglie, MD; Rita D. Marasco, MD; Gabriella Giudice, MD; Margherita Garramone, MD
Author and Funding Information

IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Rionero In Vulture Pz, Italy



Chest. 2010;138(4_MeetingAbstracts):715A. doi:10.1378/chest.10498
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

PURPOSE: A prospective randomized study to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of a polymeric sealant (Coseal(r)) to reduce air leaks reported by a digital chest drainage system (“DigiVentTM”), and to improve postoperative outcome in patients undergoing lung resection.

METHODS: Between March 2008 and July 2009, 125 (100 M, 25 F) patients showing moderate/severe intraoperative air leaks after pulmonary resection (n=111) or after pleural decortications with/without adesiolysis (n=76) have been prospectively enrolled and randomly assigned to receive: suture/stapling [n=65 - standard group (SG)] or suture/stapling plus Coseal [n=60 - Coseal group (CG)].

RESULTS: The overall air leakage incidence was 12.5%. In the SG the incidence of the air leakage has been higher (20%) than the patients of the CG (8.3%). In the CG the dose of application after the first leak evidence has been of 4 ml in the 86% of the cases and 8 ml in the remainder 14%. After the second verification, the persistence of air leak has been observed in 4 patients, and it has regressed with a second application of only 4 ml in drop.Intraoperative air leak cessation rate was higher in the CG with a statistically significant difference (85.3% vs 59.4%; p < 0.001). Duration of air leaks was significantly shorter in the CG (5 vs 12 days) (p = 0.01). The hospital stay was shorter in the Coseal Group (mean: 5 vs 10 days) and the chest tube withdrawal time was longer in SG (7 vs 5 days).

CONCLUSION: The application of Coseal sealant proved safe and effective in reducing air leaks (revealed by a Digital Air System) occurring after lung resection and in shortening the duration of postoperative air leak with a trend towards a shorter postoperative hospital stay.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Air leaks is objectively revealed by Digital Drainage System, Coseal(r) sealant improve quality of life and reduce hospital stay after lung resection.

DISCLOSURE: Cosimo Lequaglie, No Financial Disclosure Information; No Product/Research Disclosure Information

09:45 AM - 11:00 AM


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543