Poster Presentations: Wednesday, November 3, 2010 |

Incidence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Patients With Bronchial Anthracofibrosis FREE TO VIEW

Ebrahim Razi; Hossein Akbari, MS; Leila Nematollahi, MD
Author and Funding Information

Kashan, Kashan, Iran

Chest. 2010;138(4_MeetingAbstracts):672A. doi:10.1378/chest.10100
Text Size: A A A
Published online


PURPOSE: History and Background: Anthracosis is dark tattoo like plaques, characterized as black pigments deposits on the bronchial mucosa. If these are accompanied with destructive and fibrotic changes of the airways they are called Anthracofibrosis. This study was designed to assess the incidence of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis in these patients undergoing bronchoscopic evaluation in Beheshti University Hospital, Kashan.

METHODS: Material and Methods: This descriptive study carried on 51 patients with Anthracofibrosis referred for bronchoscopic evaluation in a three year period. Demographic data, anatomical location of the lesions and radiologic findings of all patients were recorded, and obtained bronchoalveolar lavage during bronchoscopy was sent for cytology and study of acid fast bacilli (AFB) staining and culture.

RESULTS: Results: Twenty six (51%) patients with Anthracofibrosis were female and the remaining 25 (49%) male. The most common age range was 70-79 years, 46.2%. Active tuberculosis was found in 13 (25.4%) patients. It was seen in 25% of female patients and 24% of males, and was most common in 70-79 year old age range (47.1%). Right upper lobe was the most common site of involvement, (47%). Opacity of the lungs was the most common radiologic finding.

CONCLUSION: Conclusion: It was found that active pulmonary tuberculosis is common in Anthracofibrotic patients and in order to diagnosis, prevention and control of the disease these patients should be considered until necessary approach was performed.

CLINICAL IMPLICATIONS: Clinical implications: In all of the patients with anthracofibrosis, despite the lack of previous history of tuberculosis, must be investigated against active tuberculosis.

DISCLOSURE: Ebrahim Razi, No Financial Disclosure Information; No Product/Research Disclosure Information

12:45 PM - 2:00 PM




Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543