0
Clinical Investigations: INFECTION |

Susceptibility Pattern and Epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a Saudi Arabian Hospital*: A 15-Year Study From 1989 to 2003

Jaffar A. Al-Tawfiq, MD; Amal A. Al-Muraikhy, BSc; Mahmoud S. Abed, RN
Author and Funding Information

*From the Internal Medicine Services Division (Dr. Al-Tawfiq), Microbiology Laboratory (Ms. Al-Muraikhy), and Epidemiology Services Unit (Mr. Abed), Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization, Saudi Aramco, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

Correspondence to: Jaffar A. Al-Tawfiq, MD, PO Box 76, Room A-420, Building 61, Dhahran Health Center, Saudi Aramco, Dhahran 31311, Saudi Arabia; e-mail: jaffar.tawfiq@aramco.com



Chest. 2005;128(5):3229-3232. doi:10.1378/chest.128.5.3229
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Objectives: The objective of this study was to examine the prevalence and trends of drug resistance of Mycobacterium tuberculosis at the Saudi Aramco Medical Services Organization.

Methods: We retrospectively identified M tuberculosis isolates from January 1989 to December 2003. Antimicrobial susceptibility and clinical data were collected and analyzed.

Results: From 1989 to 2003, 276 nonrepetitive culture-positive cases were identified. There were 236 Saudis (84.6%), and the remainder were non-Saudis (15.4%). M tuberculosis isolates were obtained from pulmonary specimens (49%) and extrapulmonary sites (51%). The resistance rates of M tuberculosis to tested first-line agents were as follows: isoniazid, 12.5%; ethambutol, 7.5%; streptomycin; 6.9%; and rifampin, 1.1%. The resistance rate to isoniazid and streptomycin was 1.8%, the rate to isoniazid and rifampin was 0.7%, and the rate to isoniazid and ethambutol was 2.5%. The resistance rate to isoniazid, ethambutol, and streptomycin was 0.7%

Conclusion: M tuberculosis resistance to isoniazid showed a decreased rate over the study period from 20 to 5.7%. The rate of multidrug-resistant M tuberculosis remained low.

Figures in this Article

Sign In to Access Full Content

MEMBER & INDIVIDUAL SUBSCRIBER

Want Access?

NEW TO CHEST?

Become a CHEST member and receive a FREE subscription as a benefit of membership.

Individuals can purchase this article on ScienceDirect.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal or buy individual articles.

Learn more about membership or Purchase a Full Subscription.

INSTITUTIONAL ACCESS

Institutional access is now available through ScienceDirect and can be purchased at myelsevier.com.

Sign In to Access Full Content

MEMBER & INDIVIDUAL SUBSCRIBER

Want Access?

NEW TO CHEST?

Become a CHEST member and receive a FREE subscription as a benefit of membership.

Individuals can purchase this article on ScienceDirect.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal or buy individual articles.

Learn more about membership or Purchase a Full Subscription.

INSTITUTIONAL ACCESS

Institutional access is now available through ScienceDirect and can be purchased at myelsevier.com.

Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Sign In to Access Full Content

MEMBER & INDIVIDUAL SUBSCRIBER

Want Access?

NEW TO CHEST?

Become a CHEST member and receive a FREE subscription as a benefit of membership.

Individuals can purchase this article on ScienceDirect.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal.

Individuals can purchase a subscription to the journal or buy individual articles.

Learn more about membership or Purchase a Full Subscription.

INSTITUTIONAL ACCESS

Institutional access is now available through ScienceDirect and can be purchased at myelsevier.com.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
Guidelines
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543