The index case had worked from 1964 to 1993 as maintenance fitter in an asbestos factory. He dusted down machines, repaired them, and swept up afterwards. He worked all over the factory. “Asbestos dust lay thick everywhere” was his comment. Danger from asbestos produced no concern in the 1960s, in that no factory precautions were taken. Thus, no masks or caps were worn, machines were not washed down, and there were no extractor fans. There was asbestos-laden white dust outside the showers and changing rooms. A shower would be like “taking a dust bath,” he said. Following legislation in the early 1970s, working conditions at the factory had improved, and the firm began phasing out asbestos products. The fitter was then provided with a cap and mask, but recalls no warning being given to avoid contamination with any dust about the factory, and no one was told that the dust was dangerous. In May 1993, he became ill and has not worked since then. Symptoms and findings confirmed the diagnosis of asbestosis, following employment in the asbestos factory from 1964 to 1993, and he began drawing compensation backdated to 1987.