0
Articles |

Therapeutic Response Patterns to High and Cumulative Doses of Salbutamol in Acute Severe Asthma FREE TO VIEW

Carlos Rodrigo; Gustavo Rodrigo
Author and Funding Information

Affiliations: From the Centro de Tratamiento Intensivo, Hospital Central de las FF.AA, Montevideo, Uruguay,  From the Asociación Española Primera de Socorros Mutuos, and the Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las FF.AA, Montevideo, Uruguay

Affiliations: From the Centro de Tratamiento Intensivo, Hospital Central de las FF.AA, Montevideo, Uruguay,  From the Asociación Española Primera de Socorros Mutuos, and the Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las FF.AA, Montevideo, Uruguay


1998 by the American College of Chest Physicians


Chest. 1998;113(3):593-598. doi:10.1378/chest.113.3.593
Text Size: A A A
Published online

Abstract

Study objectives: To examine the main therapeutic response patterns to high doses of salbutamol and to determine the factors that contribute to outcome in acute severe asthma.

Setting: The emergency department (ED) of a large, urban hospital with primary and referral care responsibilities.

Patients and design: One hundred sixteen consecutive patients with acute exacerbations of asthma were enrolled in the trial, using a prospective sequential design.

Interventions: All patients were treated with salbutamol delivered with a metered-dose inhaler into a spacer device in four puffs (400 µg) at 10-min intervals. The protocol involved 3 h of this treatment (1,200 µg, each 30 min).

Measures and results: A dose-response increase in pulmonary function was found, but only 70% improved sufficiently to be discharged. Of these, almost 70% required ≤2.4 mg of the drug within 1 h to reach the discharge threshold, whereas the remainder 30% need ≥3.6 mg. In 30% of subjects, salbutamol was ineffective. These patients were characterized by a more severe disease as judged by previous β2-agonist use, larger duration of attack before ED visit, and a more severe obstruction at presentation. However, the most important predictors of outcome were peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) as percent of predicted, PEFR as liters per minute, and PEER variation over baseline value, all at 30 min.

Conclusions: This study described two different therapeutic response patterns to salbutamol. Almost 70% of patients were sensitive to salbutamol (good response pattern), and in this group, 2.4 to 3.6 mg represents optimal treatment. In the remainder 30% of patients (poor response pattern), salbutamol in high doses had little effect. However, the outcome was not determined by the intensity of the initial symptoms or by the value of the presenting PEFR, but rather by the early (30 min) short-term response to treatment.


Figures

Tables

References

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging & repositioning the boxes below.

Find Similar Articles
CHEST Journal Articles
PubMed Articles
  • CHEST Journal
    Print ISSN: 0012-3692
    Online ISSN: 1931-3543